From: Ern Grover <ern@cybertours.com>
Subject: [at-l] The Secret Place

Now the fun.  Instead of shooting 18 deer and using their skins, I bought a roll of Typar at the lumber yard.  Total cost was $36 and change.  It was three feet by 111.5 feet (odd dimensions, eh?).  It's charcoal gray on both sides, with advertising on one side.  I unrolled the material, going around the circumference of layout, stapling the Typar at the bottom of each leg.  Just one staple.  I chose to leave an opening between two legs to be my doorway.  Next I pleated top the material at each pole, tucking it neatly, folding and stapling.  The first course was done.  I think you get the picture.  I ran the next course right above it, overlapping the bottom course by three or four inches, to provide a weather seal, so to speak.  (I can assure you, this tee-pee is not airtight).

Altogether I ran four courses, and an opening about a foot from the pole lashings remains as a chimney for the structure.  Inside the tee-pee, I ran a rope between the fabric, around each pole with two half-hitches, at about four feet from the floor.  This serves to permit hanging all kinds of stuff, food bag, clothing bag, boots, whatever.

Two pieces of Typar were overlapped on each side of the doorway, each stapled on one side only at the bottom, and each stapled on both sides at the top to the poles.  On the bottom edge, I stapled the material to a couple of small sticks of wood to weight down the flaps.  Around the entire structure, I banked up leaves to fill in the gaps.