[at-l] The Secret Place

I've always wanted to have a "secret place", a retreat, a refuge, if you will.

Since I don't own property other than what my house is sitting on, I would likely never build my little retreat in the woods, knowing it would never really be mine.  One of these days, I'll have that opportunity, but my "ship hasn't come in yet."

In the meantime, I've built a shelter which should stand for a few years.  To get to it, one has to go down a lonely country road.  A dirt road used by loggers many years ago leads into dense forestation for approximately a mile.  Just before the end, I follow a small brook which crosses this road.  Within a 1/4 mile I come to another brook, which has the sweetest spring water you'd ever want to put your lips to.

It's been said that "ice cold Coke on the back of your throat" is a wonderful experience, but my vote is still with some sparkling spring water, cold and icy as it dribbles down my chin.  Those icy droplets will open your eyes and make your taste buds tingle.

Just on the other side of the brook, up an incline, I've found a wonderful level spot, sheltered by some hemlocks, beech trees, and a few boulder outcroppings.  It's really an ideal spot, far from prying eyes and far from the sounds of city noises.  The only thing I could hear today was that of a babbling brook, the rustle of leaves as squirrels darted to and fro, and the chirp of some birds in the distance.

Years ago, while a Boy Scout, we made shelters like the one I'm about to describe to you.  Of course, that was 40 years ago, and we didn't have the nice materials available to us that we now have.  Our troop had a competition between patrols, who could erect the most stable shelter from natural materials.  Some built debris huts, some built lean-to's, some built tee-pees.

My patrol built a tee-pee using trees which had been damaged by winter storms of years past.  Our design was the most stable and it was also the warmest and driest of all designs of that weekend.

Hence, I chose to make a tee-pee/wig-wam (who knows the difference?).  I chose the dimensions of 10 feet diameter and 10 feet tall (approximately).  To accomplish this, I found three reasonably straight dead trees of four to five inch diameter.  I paced off approximately 13 feet (10 of my boots).  Two poles were laid side by side.  A third pole was laid between them, but it was headed in the opposite direction.  Then I lashed the three pole tips together using "half-hitches".  As a Boy Scout, we only had cheap hemp, but I used some 1/2 nylon rope.

The two poles lying side by side were spread approximately five feet.  Then I went to the middle of all three poles and started to lift up the knotted ends using only the single pole.  Eventually I erected all three, adjusting each leg so they were exactly the same distance apart, 10 boot steps.  A Pyramid.  Next I added two poles on each side between the original poles, bringing the total to nine poles.

Now the fun.  Instead of shooting 18 deer and using their skins, I bought a roll of Typar at the lumber yard.  Total cost was $36 and change.  It was three feet by 111.5 feet (odd dimensions, eh?).  It's charcoal gray on both sides, with advertising on one side.  I unrolled the material, going around the circumference of layout, stapling the Typar at the bottom of each leg.  Just one staple.  I chose to leave an opening between two legs to be my doorway.  Next I pleated top the material at each pole, tucking it neatly, folding and stapling.  The first course was done.  I think you get the picture.  I ran the next course right above it, overlapping the bottom course by three or four inches, to provide a weather seal, so to speak.  (I can assure you, this tee-pee is not airtight).

Altogether I ran four courses, and an opening about a foot from the pole lashings remains as a chimney for the structure.  Inside the tee-pee, I ran a rope between the fabric, around each pole with two half-hitches, at about four feet from the floor.  This serves to permit hanging all kinds of stuff, food bag, clothing bag, boots, whatever.

Two pieces of Typar were overlapped on each side of the doorway, each stapled on one side only at the bottom, and each stapled on both sides at the top to the poles.  On the bottom edge, I stapled the material to a couple of small sticks of wood to weight down the flaps.  Around the entire structure, I banked up leaves to fill in the gaps.

Not quite on-center, I constructed a fifteen-inch fire ring with some medium stones, so the ring would be about ten inches high.  All leaves and debris were removed from the floor of the tee-pee for fire safety.  The remaining area is occupied by two spots for sleeping, giving a 15 to 20 inch space between sleeping bags and the fire ring.  The third area is occupied by a wood supply and camping gear.

Total time for construction was just under two hours.  It ain't the Ritz, but it's comfy.

I started a small fire to test the draft.  As I had hoped, it worked like a charm.  The smoke was sucked straight up and escaped the tee-pee through the opening at the top.  It was a natural chimney.  Since the tee-pee isn't "airtight", there was adequate ventilation for fresh air to enter and permit good venting.  At no time did the wind blow the smoke in my direction; it was magnificent!  Dog and I ate a meal of tenderloin tips with some fresh veggies.  I forgot my biscuits, rats!

As I looked back in the direction of the tee-pee, I was hard pressed to see it.  It blends in so well with the surrounding forest and the rock formations.  The color of the fabric (since the advertising is on the inside) makes it appear just like another rock formation.  (Caution:  get permission of the land owner first)

So if I don't answer my email for a couple of days or answer my pager, it's because I'm at my "secret place".  Guests are welcome!

"Sweeter Rain" a.k.a. Ern Grover
ICQ: 922536 / AOL: MaineMan47
Website: http://www.cybertours.com/~ern/
Page me: http://www.cybertours.com/~ern/page.htm