[at-l] More Felix

Hi boys & girls, myn & womyn, men & women, humans, and otherwise,

I write to you from the basement of the St. Thomas Episcopal Church in
Vernon  NJ. The hostel isn't here. It may be someday. I took the first
shower in the shower though. Yep, the first. The pastor was nice enough t
let us do laundry and shower. Said they may have a hostel next year. There
is no shelter at the fire station here tht I could see. We are sleeping
under the pavillion.

2 days later: Now I write from "The Skillet" in DWG. I must say that my New
Jersey experience was much more pleasant than I had anticipated. Very nice
scenery. The people were very friendly.

Midriff note: This is a long time after the previous part of the note. A
LONG TIME. Like 5 weeks. As you were.

Well, where to begin? Perhaps with a word of the day? "Sprallingness." Use
your own imagination.

I'm assumng you're all aware that Pokey and Stoat have left the "Cat's
Posse." No, the timing was only coincidental. I miss them both. One of my
highlights of this trip will be that Pokey got to see a real live bear and
her reaction was wonderful, wonderful!

Privial Pursuit:

At Rausch Gap Shelter's privy, a strange thing happened. An oxymoron,
perhaps. While in the privy, I actually ate a brownie. I laughed at the
irony.

A plunger will not work in a privy. No matter how full it is, or how hard
you plunge.

The new "Cat's Crew: Since Pokey and Stoat left at Linden, I've been hiking
with various others. I hiked through the SNP with "Groovin' Moose, Machu
Picchu, and Huayna." They're kinda leapfroggin' with us. I'd hiked with
them a bit since Eckville S. in Central PA. They are French Canadians that
are hiking from Katahdin to Peru, S.A. and back. A 5 year adventure. I've
been a busy little hiker. Lots of folks visiting me. Me visiting lots of
folks. Raven, still cute as a button, stayed at Tom Floyd Wayside with me.
Next morning she talked me into getting a tattoo. Since I was feeling mean,
but not downright evil, I got "665" tattooed on my forehead.

Amy Friends, cute as a lapel pin, drug a chocolate cake halfway across
Virginia. I was assuming this was going to be a weekly thing, Amy. Where
have you been? (Many thanks, kiddo.)

Blue Noodle and fiance and Nicole Maringo (?) joined me for a weekend near
Waynesboro. Had a good time with all. Kevin Hoffman showed up after dark at
Maupin Field with Candy. He is joining me after Thanksgiving. Had a
wonderful visit/stay with each of these: Jim & Ginny Owens, Steve Landis
and family, Tom & Maria Ha. The PA contingent as strong as usual.
Pittsburgh was everywhere, but Pittsburgh. Kahley was doing everything
possible to make sure my pack never weighs less than 50 lbs. CHoovers &
Slyman & Gypsy were out and about and spent the night. Sandy Downs stayed
at 501 with us.

I've passed "Oxymoron ,Tangent, Tripper, Barge Dog, Abandoner, Red B," and
seems like someone else. Hanson is all gone. Tonight I'm with "Sundown,
Calamity Jane and Lucky Luke." I left Machu Picchu and Huayna and Groovin'
Moose in Waynesboro. I assume the "Moose" will catch me soon. He's a 20
year old kid who's Yo-yoing. He made me do 3-20's in a row and hike 'til
after dark. Come to think of it, I'm glad he's not hiking with me anymore.
Doesn't look like there is anyoone within 3 weeks of us. (In front of us, I
mean.)

Tonight I am Bryant Ridge Shelter. Today I met Peggy.  She was at Cornelius
Creek Shelter. Now, I usually am not a "kiss and tell" kind of guy.
Alright, I am.  Anyway, I don' know if I'm just rebounding from the whole
"Pokey Misadventure" or what. I think something really big may be going on
here. Peggy  Mcgillicuddy!!!  I'll keep you posted.

I was learning some important French phrases from Machu Picchu before we
split up. (In exchange, I was trying to teach them "Georgian.") Here's what
I have so far:

Je Ne Savais pas Que C'etait votre fille. (I didn't know she is your
daughter.)
Quel Feu? (What fire?)
Contre Quel Loi? (Against what law?)

Conversation of the month: