Re: [at-l] winter camping

Thomas McGinnis wrote:

>      I'll be very brief and say that unless you're going short distances or
>      are VERY over-loaded (short stay with lanterns, cabin tent, yada
>      yada), or maybe are hiking on flat and open trail (forest roads, or
>      the occasional artic floe!), you'd MUCH rather have that load on your
>      back than behind you. Sore shoulders are much easier than sore arms
>      (from pulling that puppy).

First I want to say yes to all of the above <g>.  I love to "labor" in the snow.
But my stamina yeilds only 5-6 hours a day.  The rest of the time I will camp
and contemplate.  So I want lots of luxury and that equals weight.  I have a
big tent, heater, lantern, dog bedding and books and my art supplies and a small
dog that can't pull her own in deep snow....ergo the sled.  And I intend to stick to

old logging roads and rail trails.I won't pull the sled with my arms, it will be
rigged to a waist belt.  I have tried this before with decent results, but this
years addition of two sections of pvc piping will keep the thing from banging
into me on every other step.
I know this may sound wacko to some off you, but I love snow camping yet
I just can't pack it all on my back.
k./\             who changes from ultra lite to ultra laden in the wintertime <g>