Re: [at-l] loving the AT to death

Bill Thorneloe wrote:

> You are entirely correct. The ADA is a frightening scarecrow to many. The next
> thing we will hear is a rumor that the AT will be paved (I would love to see
> that attempted on Albert Mountain).
>
> OrangeBug
> Atlanta, GA
>
> Phil Smith and Julia Hewitt wrote:
>
> > mfuller from Maine wrote-
> > >Silliness such as the ADA doesn't
> > >concern me as much, though
> > This the tough place where the social trail meets the wilderness trail. I
> > don't think the ADA is silly (and if any of my disability activist friends
> > heard this stuff, they'd be roaring at ya pretty loud - they remain a
> > pretty persecuted bunch). ....

Bill, In 1992, we used to joke that the reroutes were making the AT so
easy it would be wheelchair accessible and they'd start bringing in the
busloads of senior citizens from New York City to hike the trail.  In
1994, we were on a day hike near Bear Rocks in Pennsylvania, along with
at least 100 other people, and what did we see: a guy in a wheelchair
being pushed up the trail. I'm not sure why, since that was a really
rocky section, and the only way to get the view was to climb a huge pile
of rocks, but he was out there.  We stopped making jokes about it and we
started looking for other trails to hike. Fortunately, we found them.
Ginny