Re: [at-l] Fun..was AT may be too tough says oldtimer ;o)

kahley7 wrote:
 And remember....we of the stubby legs have alot more trouble with
> blowdowns in general than you treetoppers.  Something that you
> can step over, I have to straddle and take a chance of getting splinters where I really don't want them.. > and while I'm at it, let's talk about the fact that if it takes you 3 million steps to get to Maine, I know it'll take me 4!

I loved this post! I, too, am vertically challenged. I hiked with Mara
last weekend and she was kind enough to not leave me in the dust. She
actually took baby steps and hiked at my pace. I have also had the
long-leg dream and that dream continued throughout my hike this year. I
prayed to wake up in the morning a foot taller than I am. (some dreams
don't come true) :-( The trail is built and maintained for the "average"
person (what exactly is the height of the average person?). I did the
straddling blowdowns thing and it helps if the blowdowns are covered in
snow or ice and you're wearing your rain pants (you just slide right
over it). Also, you get a mini rest break if you stop mid-straddle. See,
they put a seat here in the middle of the trail just for me! :-) Those
so-called "rock steps" are actually what I call "rock climbing". I hiked
with 3 men this year who were over 6'6" and they did have trouble with
the blowdowns as Mara mentioned. I had to take 4 steps to every 1 step
that "Step N A Half" took (I was jealous). When I have to crawl on all
fours to get under downed tresss and still get hung up in the branches,
a taller person has to slide on their belly to get under (doesn't look
like alot of fun in the mud). Ron's only 5'10" but managed to get
clonked in the forehead several times when he was looking down at the
trail and didn't see the blowdown leaning at head level across the
trail. I just walked under them and he saw stars. I learned to yell
"duck!" to get his attention. I guess everyone who is either too short
or too tall has their share of problems on the trail. At least Ron & I
had some good laughs during our hike.

Cheryl
The Solemates