Re: [at-l] AT may be too tough says oldtimer ;o)

Hi!

I am with you on this issue.  I have been telling my husband, Tom McGinnis, for years that, with his long legs, it is far easier for him to jump from rock to rock and tie to tie.  He has always shrugged  off my oberservation and concern to my inexperience and lack of training.  He truly believes that someday  I  will be able to leap successfully, with 35lbs on back no less, 5 and 6 feets.  But I keep looking at my legs (relatively long, I am 5'8" — although a good bit of my height is in my torso) saying how am I ever going to make that jump???

Yes, we need some trailbuilders to keep in mind different leg lengths when constructing trail.

>>> kahley7 <kahley7@ptd.net> 11/20 4:22 PM >>>
Having not hiked the section to which Choovers refers, I have to
say I still suffer at the hands of trail builders that seem to be .......
oh....let's say about 6'2" tall.  Every morning I deal with a couple hundred
ancient rotting rail road ties that are positioned exactly three inches taller
than anything even approaching a decent step for me. A step or hand hold
or style (sp?) that's easy for a six footer can present a real threat to those
of us
that are vertically challenged.  And Choovers is shorter than I!!

Considering hikers like Choovers and Kinnicinic and Leapfrog and Feelix and
myself  I'm just wondering where all these 6'6" and 6'8" hikers are...you know
the
ones that would be necessary to come up with an 'average' hiker that's tall
enough to take some of these steps in stride <VVVBG>.
OK you "above average hikers"  give a hollar if you're out there!!      k./\