RE: [at-l] Plastic Mountaineering Boots

At 01:19 PM 11/15/98 -0500, Mayer, Jim wrote:

>most people seem to wear ... plastic double mountaineering boots.

A couple of years ago, my major purchase of the winter was a pair of the
plastic mountaineering boots.  The first mile was uncomforatable, the 2nd
mile was painful, the 3 mile was excruciating, and then I turned back.  All
the way down the mountain, I was making deals with the Guy upstairs to just
let me die in the snowbank rather than to have to haul what felt like broken
shins all the way back to my car.   The tops of the plastic boots hit had
continuously banged the front of my shins until they were purple, swollen
and bleeding.  Not my idea of a serene winter hike (although the blood in
the snow DID look cool...)

Anyway, I brought them back to the store, convinced that I just got a "bad
fit" and that I could just exchange for a better pair.  To my surprise, I
was informed that they "always do that" the first few times out, until you
get used to it, and that there was no such thing as a "better fit".  Sounded
odd to me, but I took my credit refund and ran, most unwilling to go through
that torture ever again in hopes of "getting used to it".

Anybody else have this experience?  Or a better one???

;) (is it winter yet????) Pooh