RE: [at-l] posts

Cheryl,

I started winter hiking just last year, but I did a lot of reading (and a
few hikes).  Since I don't have a whole lot of experience I'll refrain from
giving technical advice.  The one piece of advice I will give is that you
need to be much more specific about what you mean by "winter hiking".  For
example, if you go backpacking in February in the Adirondacks or the White
Mountains you have to be prepared for temperatues down to -20F or so.  At
those temperatures you do NOT want to be wearing regular hiking boots...
most people seem to wear Sorell style boots or plastic double mountaineering
boots.

Anyhow, there is a big difference between 20 deg., 0 deg., and -20 deg.
Snow, ice, elevation all come into play as well.

The advice I will give is to contact a local club, like the ADK or AMC.

Have fun.

-- Jim