[at-l] Hiking "without" children......

In a message dated 11/12/98 12:54:44 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
NightShine@aol.com writes:

> We both have put thought into our responses and probably will agree to
>  disagree. What we did agree on, besides that we love backpacking, is to
> share
>  the last couple of postings with the list. Some of you may have the urge to
>  flame me or to flame him. As you can see by our postings....we definitely
>  disagree, but there are no flames.

Not a simple question at all, but with the virtues of brievity, I'll try to
keep this subject "simple."

Assuming Allison and Tom will be leaving their children with loved ones,
family (grandmother, aunt, mother, sister.... oh, that's the same thing!) and
not hired help, such as a nanny with no emotional or biological bond, I don't
see a problem.

I haven't been on the thru-hiking scene that long (AT 97/98 ya!), but I've
found it a very positive experience and that's hard to argue with!

Any positive experiences the parents have, will be passed on to their
children.........

Bottom line, it's not up to us to decide what's best for "their" children.

To Tom and Allison, best of luck in '99,  Sly