Re: [at-l] posts

>Topic for at-l people only.... winter hiking.  How should we
>modify our gear?  Do we take crampons or not?  Do we like to go in the
winter?
>How do we deal with water bottles freezing etc.....anyone game?

I've never Winter hiked.  But I would think that unless you or I are doing
major peaks that instep crampons would be the most that we would need.  And
that puting a water bottle inside a coat or close to the body side of a
backpack would prevent it from freezing in all but the coldest weather.  A
company in New England makes an overboot called NEO's for New England Over
Shoe.  They come in two sizes and have an extra heavey tread for walking on
slippery snow.  I have a pair but got a new pair of hiking boots too large for
the overshoe.  They keep my feet very warm and dry dispite the fact that the
boots I have been wearing them over are not winter boots.  I don't have a
winter sleeping bag but wondered if an over bag or bivy would accomplish the
same.  How about pulling a sled?  Should be able to carry more gear and food.
In Winter don't have to worry about spoilage so menu could be expanded.   Just
some thoughts.  I'm a little concerned about bringing my Outing Club kids on
Winter Backpack since I have little or no experience  But we all have to start
somewhere.