Re: [at-l] posts

CHoover241@aol.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>  winter hiking.  How should we modify our gear?  Do we take crampons
> or not?  Do we like to go in the winter? How do we deal with water
> bottles freezing etc.....anyone game?

Cheryl,

I winter hike a bit. Mostly in the Smokies where at the high elevations,
weather can be severe. I was a group leader for the AOL/Backpacker
Magazine Tag Team of the AT back in '95. Our assigned section was in the
Smokies from Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam. We hiked in blizzard
conditions. You probably don't need crampons most of the time, but we
did in those conditions and carried them. All had instep crampons and
one member had a regular mountaineering set. We used them.  So, it
depends on weather conditions. At least take them in your car and check
the forecast before setting out. Coupled with hiking poles, we
negotiated some fairly icy sections. Only two members slipped and fell
and both times, they weren't wearing crampons.

As far as water bottles freezing, I solve that by putting them in my
sleeping bag at night. I do the same with my boots. I put them in a
plastic bag and put them at the foot of my bag. Nice warm boots in the
morning. Clothing is pretty simple. Just layer. No cotton. Take a
back-up set of clothing. Yes, it's a little heavier but it's essential
for safety's sake. I do the standard layering with poly pro long johns,
a thin fleece layer for the torso, and a windproof shell. I normally
hike in shorts with long johns under them but carry wind pants if
conditions get severe. I also wear gaiters to keep snow and spin drift
from getting in my boots. Some people use extra socks to keep their
hands warm, but I just use a pair of thinsulate gloves. I hate cold
hands. Don't dress too warmly because you will soon be sweating and may
overheat on AT climbs. That's my mistake at first. I almost always stop
after the first half hour and peel away a layer. (ymmv) Waterproof your
boots thoroughly. Snow eventually soaks them. I carry a little solution
with me and apply it every night. My feet haven't been wet yet in the
winter.

There are a few other things that I can think of but I'll let others
tell you as I have errands to run right now and have to go. But first,
this from "Thoreau on Man and Nature".

"Every leaf and twig was this morning covered with a sparkling ice
armor; even grasses in exposed fields were hung with innumerable diamond
pendants, which jingled merrily when brushed by the foot of the
traveler. It was literally the wreck of jewels and the crash of
gems....Such is beauty ever---neither here nor there, now nor
then---neither in Rome nor in Athens, but wherever there is a soul to
admire. If I seek her at home, my search will prove a fruitless one."

--
Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com