Re: [at-l] Re: Walasi-Yi threathened

kahley7 wrote:

> I guess I did not make my self clear.  My confusion stemmed from
> a note from WF that said I should not broadcast a request to write letters
> in support of the Hansons but should sign a petition at Trailplace instead.
> Since I had seen the request voiced by the Hansons to write letters both on
> ATML and on the Hansons website,   http://www.synnergy.com/mtncross/index.htm
> it seemed there was some confusion in the desired plan of action.
>
> > I'm copying this to the ATML list partly because of the importance of the
> > subject matter and partly because WF is mentioned by name.  It's rude to
> > talk about someone without his knowing...
>
> The importance of the issue is what moved me to ask WF's permission to pass on
> the post in the first place. I'll admit to a bit of rudeness and even further, to
> mean
> spiritedness towards him when he refused my request.  For that I do publicly
> apologize.  I thought that this was  important enough to put aside other issues to
> share
> the Hanson's plight with the entirety of the AT online community and not just those
> that frequent TP or belong to ATML.          Respectfully......k./\

Kahley -
Political reality ---- is that for politicians and bureaucrats,
petitions and form letters are eminently ignorable.

Form letters are presumed to be generated by people who take the form
letters to their church, bridge club, fraternal lodge, etc.  and get all
their "friends" to sign them.  The presumption is that 95% of those who
sign form letters have no knowledge about the subject - and even less
interest in it.  And they're irritating to those who receive them, so
they can be ignored.

"Petitions" are even worse - they can be generated by going door-to-door
or by standing on a street corner and badgering people into signing.
The presumption is, therefore, that 99+% of those who sign petitions
have no interest or knowledge.  A petition is a single piece of paper
and won't even make good fire starter for the politicians and
bureaucrats.

Email letters are slightly better - they're at least counted.  But not
read.
If you want your opinion to be read - and understood (at least as much
as possible), then write a personalized letter, sign it and mail it.  It
takes a little more effort - and that's generally understood by those
who will receive it.  It means you CARE.

The advice you got ---

> said I should not broadcast a request to write letters
> in support of the Hansons but should sign a petition at Trailplace instead.
> Since I had seen the request voiced by the Hansons to write letters both on
> ATML and on the Hansons website,   http://www.synnergy.com/mtncross/index.htm
> it seemed there was some confusion in the desired plan of action.

is not a service to either the Hansons or the Trail.  The Hansons knew
exactly what they needed and asked for it.  Let's get some letters out
there, gang. If Walasi-Yi goes away, then everyone who has walked or
intends to walk the Trail will lose.  And so will the Hansons.

Walk softly,
Jim