Re: [at-l] recipe request

In a message dated 11/7/98 12:06:35 PM EDT, patv@falcon.cc.ukans.edu writes:

<< I had a granola or cereal bar recipe I inherited from the 70s, I think.
 It had shreadded wheat, Karo syrup, raisins, etc. You crunched the
 ingredients, mixed 'em up (real sticky), and pressed them in a pan to
 bake. They turned out relatively dry and crunchy, rather than sticky.
 Good stuff, and they could probably solve my cold breakfast dilemma, but
 I've lost the recipe. Anybody have it--or anything similar?

 Thanks-
 Give Me Chocolate >>

Here is a recipe for backpacker food bars.

Wildbill

                             BACKPACKER BARS

   1      cup           butter
   1 1/2  cups          brown sugar
   1      cup           quick cooking oats
   1      cup           whole wheat flour
   1      cup           white flour
     1/2  cup           wheat germ
   4      teaspoons     grated orange peel
   4                    eggs --  lightly beaten
   2      cups          whole almonds
   1      cup           chocolate chips
     1/2  cup           chopped dates
     1/2  cup           chopped dried apricots
     1/2  cup           shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter with 1 cup brown sugar. Stir in oats,
wheat flour, white flour, wheat germ, and orange peel. Press mixture into
bottom of an ungreased 9x13-inch baking pan.
Combine eggs, almonds, chocolate chips, dates, apricots, coconut and
remaining 1/2 cup. brown sugar. Mix gently, but thoroughly. Pour over butter
mixture. Spread evenly.
Bake 30-35 minutes
and cool before cutting into bars.