[at-l] Re: scrapple

Being from Philadelphia, and having very German grandparents, I've
consumed my fair share of Scrapple. Best I ever had was when my folks had
a pig butchered out in Lancaster, and received some good "homemade"
scrapple from the farmer. Habersett pales in comparison to it! (And I
remember the Habersett jingle from TV: "Habersett your table, it's
quality!").

Leberkase (Leber=Liver, Kase=Cheese; I haven't seen it spelled
Leberkaas...perhaps that's a PA Dutch variation, Sweeter-Rain?), as far
as I remember, is not scrapple. It's a kind of REALLY gross lunchmeat.
You can buy it in Philly and I've seen it in German meat stores as well.

If you want to try something good, try some Lebanon bologna, made in
Lebanon, PA, (near Harrisburg) not far off of the trail in the St.
Anthony's Wilderness area (Rausch Gap). Which, BTW, is the only place
I've ever been on the AT where you can hear artillery shelling (practice
from nearby Fort Indiantown Gap at the foot of the mountains). Makes for
a disconcerting night's sleep, to say the least.

Ich habe Scrapple und Wandern gern!
(I like Scrapple and hiking!)

Brian W.
Virginia Beach, VA