Re: [at-l] one more scrapple story

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Pat Villeneuve wrote:

> One time when we were in Hershey, PA, we stopped for breakfast at a
> restaurant that promised the best and freshest homemade scrapple. There

Boy, and I thought the grits thread of years past was wierd. Here's a
scrapple story fer ye.

My significant other is from Philly, home of Habersett Srapple which I
consider the best I've had. Now you have to understand that I'm a southern
boy. Born and raised in north Florida (or was that South Georgia???)
Anyway, I thought this stuff was disgusting when I first say it. As
someone said earlier, it's filler plus all the stuff not good enough to go
in hot dogs. Well, when it's made right, the filler is corn meal and the
meat is parts of the pig I'd just as soon not know about. And it should be
fairly well seasoned, or slightly HOT to the taste.

Fast forward, when it's fried crisp on both sides it's pretty good with my
grits and biscuits ;-) However, I don't eat it often as it's pretty heavy
in the saturated fat department.

While on the culinary tract, we have a saing in the south... "If it can be
poached, it can be fried!"

If anyone wished to try scrapple, you can get Habersett in most Publix
grocery stores. If you don't have a Publix in your area other stores sell
scrapple under the brand Jones Bros. Look for it in the frozen meat or
breakfast area.

Now, lets get out that game board and play some scrapple - oops, sorry.

Uncle Milt

Ps. Yes, I'm still alive and hiking all over N. Ga.