Re: [at-l] Spackle?? <was: breaking camp>

Ken Bennett wrote:

> Give Me Chocolate wrote--
>
> >That's SCRAPPLE. It's a Pennsylvania-Dutch dish--kind of a loaf made
> from
> >fillers
> >and the stuff that wasn't good enough to make it into hot dogs. It's
> usually
> >sliced and fried, and you can choose to bury it under catsup or apple
>
> >butter. Now
> >that you know more than you want to, you realize why nobody serving
> you
> >the food
> >wanted to tell you...
> >
> >Give Me Chocolate
> >

> Hi, Pat!
>
> I would swear that I saw a scrapple recipie in Julia Child's book, The
> Way
> to Cook. It uses a cornmeal mush and good-quality bulk sausage, mixed
> together and baked, I think, in a loaf pan. You might steam it,
> though.
> Then you cut thin slices and sautee them in butter and serve with a
> little
> maple syrup. Yum!
>
> Sure beats the store-bought kind, which is exactly as Pat described --
> all
> the meat that wasn't fit for hot dogs <g>.
>
> Cheers,

Being of German extraction, I remember eating a dish as a kid, called
speckle (umlaut over the e). When slurred, the word sounds like spackle.
It's tastes sort of like hominy grits, made from corn.

Hope this clears up the mystery.

Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com