[at-l] Indiana Hikers (esp. 2000milers) please read!

          Last night I was elected to chair the Hoosier Hikers'
          Council. If you're not aware of it, the HHC membership
          numbers in the low hundreds, but is moving a statewide
          petition (re "Horse Wars") signed by individuals and
          organizations (including recently The American Hiking
          Society) numbering many thousands. I was/am flattered, and am
          not at all convinced of the wisdom of their request or my
          acceptance, but I am now faced with having given up cavalier
          independence as an individual board member for responsible
          leadership, stewardship, and productive harmony. I take it
          seriously.

          Without offering really anything in return, I hereby request
          your help. As a young organization, the HHC has already
          accomplished much for Hoosier hikers -- as seen in miles and
          miles of recovered forest trail and the steady development of
          the Knobstone, as well as less obvious results including a
          genuine sensitivity and receptiveness on the part of state
          forest and recreation officials. But all of this has been
          done with a small cadre of movers who are, justifiably, a bit
          tired. They wish to hand over the organization to the next
          set of leaders, and maybe thats you. A good course has been
          set, all thats needed now is more hands at the tiller and the
          lines.

          Play a part! I know there is a role for you. Haven't done
          trail work on the AT and feel a curiousity about how much
          fun/sweat could be involved? Call for directions for this
          weekend's clear/blaze hike on another section of the
          Knobstone one measly hour south of Indy. There's another one
          planned in three weeks for a new trail on the unsettled side
          of Brookville reservoir -- 24 miles in backcountry, all fresh
          and new, and blazed by you!

          Sore yet from your own yardwork? We have accounts/expense/tax
          questions that will take US twelve years to answer, but
          someone knowledgeable would be able to work them out in
          nothing flat. Website production. Work a race water stop!
          Design a teeshirt. Recording Secretary. Or whatever YOU think
          you can easily contribute. There's lots here, and involved
          committments are not necessarily needed.

          And then here's a biggie, and hopefully a fun one. I
          volunteered to set up a panel of AT backpackers (especially
          but not exclusively 2000milers) for the HHC annual meeting to
          be held in Indy's Eagle Creek Park (the largest(?) municipal
          park in the country) on Saturday, February 20. Approximately
          9:00 to 2:00. A 60-90 minute afternoon panel of AT
          knowledgeables would bring 'em out in droves, to a meeting
          which would hunger for topics besides "How do we further
          cajole more budget emphasis out of the Hoosier National
          Forest for foot travel only paths?" Please please please
          respond!!! You can help a lot just with this one thing,
          because it would give us a very balanced agenda and an
          attractive meeting all the way around.

          And as has been said by others, while you're directly
          assisting in the development and recovery of Indiana trails
          (whether by loping or lobbying), you are ALSO lessening the
          pressure on all of the other recreation resources we choose
          from, including our beloved AT. And that, my friend, is a
          super-sized good feeling waiting to happen. It's yours for
          the taking!

          Whether you have a hour or a day or weekend, whether you
          could assist for an event or a season or a year or two,
          please give me a call (317) 322-0119 or simply respond to me
          here. And thanks!

          Tom McGinnis