[at-l] Hike thru Grayson Highlands.

Finally getting around to talk about the hike after the Gathering.  Went from
a little south of Troutdale to Damascus.The colors were fantastic and the
scenery breathtaking.   The really good news it that if you are going south,
the long downhill from Buzzard rock south is not nearly as bad at the topo
maps show.  I would suggest going this way.  Spent the night before hiking at
the Fox Hill Inn in Troutdale.  The views were definately worth the crazy
driveway up to the place.  Mark and Janet Holmes run the place and were
terrific, so helpful.  They are willing to shuttle you to where you would like
to start.   If you end in Damascus and if you want a terrific place to stay,
The Lazy Fox Inn is wonderful.  Ginny serves a breakfast to die for and knows
how to treat stinky tired backpackers.  It took us four days to hike a little
over 40 miles and I am not a fast or far backpacker.  Nothing too strenuous.
My kind of hike!  Except for when I turned left when I reached the Virginia
Creeper Trail instead of right and did 15 miles the last day instead of 12.
This was after doing 12 the day before.  The distance on the VCT should have
only been about 10 miles into Damascus, shorted than the AT and very flat.  It
is pretty going along the river the whole way.    The weather can definately
get cold up there. Thomas Knob shelter, in the middle of October was 35
degrees,  and quite windy.  Pack those long johns if you are planning to be
there at Thanksgiving time.

Leapfrog