Re: [at-l] breaking camp

Jim,

I'd be interested in the recipe if you still have it handy.  Thanks,

Paula
---------------------------
Hi all,

I recently developed the following waybread recipe.  The loaves appear to
be quite durable, easy to chew, and taste pretty darn good (kind of like a
not very sweet oatmeal cookie).  They are also wheat free, if that matters
to you.  If you don't like oatmeal cookies, skip the rest of this message
:-)

Recipe (makes 6 6oz loaves)

4 cups quick oats
1/2 cup soy flour
1/4 cup sugar (I used fructose, for no special reason)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups raisins
2 cups seeds & nuts (I used half sunflower seeds and half walnuts)
1 1/2 cup water (approximately, use just enough to hold things together)

Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees and lightly oil a cookie sheet.  Mix all
the dry ingredients.  Add one cup of water and stir.  Add just enough
additional water so the mixture hangs together.  Kneed lightly, and divide
into six equal portions.  Shape each portion into a rectangular loaf about
3/4 inch thick and place on the oiled cookie sheet (I squeezed the portions
into a sausage like shape then pressed the "sausage" flat... rolling the
dough between my hands didn't work as the dough broke up).  Bake for 30
minutes in a 300 degree oven.  Transfer the loaves to a dehydrator and dry
overnight or until completely dried out.

Notes: you could almost certainly use an over set on low with the door
cracked open instead of a dehydrator.  Also, you could probably get by with
a microwave oven on the defrost setting.  A hot oven will burn the loaves
though.

The bit about the baking powder and pre-heating the oven are only in there
for traditional reasons.  I have no idea if either makes any difference in
this recipe.  The thirty minute cooking time is equally arbitrary but
seemed to work well and should be enough to sterilize everything.

Enjoy!

-- Jim Mayer