[at-l] Self standing tents and pole weight, vs string

At 12:12 PM -0500 11/07/98, Steven Dopp wrote:
>Well Tom, as you probably guessed, I incorrectly typed in the url.  The
>correct URL is:
>
>www.ultralightoutdoors.com
>
>As you noted, the cost will indeed make my wallet lighter.  I base new gear
>expenditures on a "cost per ounce saved", viewpoint.

¥ep I searched out the site. Thanks for the reply. Now if one really wants
to save on tent weight.. 1. go with a ripcloth tarp and some string. No pole
weight.  I must admit I do have a tent when hiking in areas with no trees but
even then I sometimes use my hiking poles as the "tent" poles.  Of course, one
could go even lighter with just a long poncho.

Most stores sell tents that have poles that have self support, that is so you
can see them easily in a store. It's sales. Most times if around trees, you can
just tie a string and not use poles at all. I am more for poleless tents, tarps
or just use the hiking sticks as poles..  Bivy anyone and yea you can use
a head screen  to keep away the flies, etc.. :)

But I save go with whatever makes you comfortable. It's up to you to trade
weight for comfort in many cases.

I do plan on trying their Ti stakes vs the others I already have..

Thanks, tom bear bells caggiano...