Re: [at-l] KC back again!

In a message dated 11/7/98 10:35:34 AM EST, felton@bluenet.net writes:

<< Fog, Fog, Fog, Clouds, Blowing clouds,,,we
 could not see more than 30 feet in front of us all day!!!!  >>

That was one of my favorite sections of trail down south. Of course, you got
lucky....you could see 30 feet in front of you. I'd guess 10 feet was the max
with about 30 mph winds blowing your sticks right off the ground. I did have
company, however. A small grouse walked in front of me for about a quarter of
a mile. We just strolled along together in the wind following the path at our
feet and getting frightened by figures that loomed up about 5 feet away. No
sound but the wind. No sights but the trail at our feet.

As for being cold....i'd keep the hammock and lighter bag to swap for summer
and definitely go with some sort of padding beneath you and a warmer bag for
earlier. My coldest night i slept with everything on. In a warmer bag, it
might be better to do socks, long polypros and a hat....and put your warm body
into the bag before you get cold. Something about not having too many clothes
on in a warmer bag was supposed to work better than not allowing your body
heat to warm the bag up. After my really cold night i never slept as coldly
before. Another thing i did was even if i stayed in a shelter, i'd put my
ground cloth down beneath my Z-rest. This helped cut some of the chill on cold
days and kept things a wee bit cleaner otherwise. LOL....only thing is i used
a big sheet of plastic that was very noisy when i folded it up in the morning
while everyone else was still trying to sleep.

Second Chance