Re: [at-l] Ultralightweight.com

Well Tom, as you probably guessed, I incorrectly typed in the url.  The
correct URL is:

www.ultralightoutdoors.com

As you noted, the cost will indeed make my wallet lighter.  I base new gear
expenditures on a "cost per ounce saved", viewpoint.   Typically, I find
that it costs me somewhere between $10 to $20 per ounce saved to replace my
heavier equipment with lighter stuff.  In this case, I'm guessing that I
will save 8 oz. at a total price of $115, so that equals $14.37 per ounce
saved.  When it gets much over $20 per ounce, I usually don't spend it
unless I can whack off big chunks of weight (at least 1/2 pound).

Some of my big weight-saving moves have been:

1. Replaced wife's 5 lb, 2 oz Campmor McKinley pack with a 25-year old 3 lb
8 oz Kelty.
2.  Replaced my 25 year old down sweater with a 17 oz model from Feathered
Friends.  Simlarly replaced my wife's down sweater.  Don't know the weight
of my old down sweater off the top but it was considerably heavier and
bulkier.
3.  Replaced 7 lb tent with 4 lb, 12 oz. Arch Rival solid.
4.  Replaced our 2 sleeping bags which had a combined weight of 8 lbs with 1
Feathered Friends sleeping bag that weighs 3 lb, 2 oz (rated to 20 degrees).
5.  Replaced 5 oz Nalgene water bottles with 1.75 oz. pepsi wide-mouth
plastic soda bottles.
6.  Replaced stainless steel pot with a titanium pot.
7.  Replaced campmor lexan mugs which weighed approxamtely 5 oz each with
cheap plastic Wal-Mart mugs that weigh approx 2.5 oz each.
8.  Replaced 2 lb, 10 oz  Garcia bear canister with 2 lb, 3 oz aluminum bear
canister.

I've done quite a few other things as well which I can't recall off the top.

Now, if I can just talk the folks at ultralight outdoors to make me a carbon
fiber bear canister and frame fro my external frame backpack!