[at-l] lard bottoms or city-soft? who's ready?

     There's a difference, remember, of how you can BE "in trail-ready
     shape." That difference goes toward the physical (lard-bottoms,
     et.al.) and the mental (city-soft wimpy types). For Alison and I,
     having carried out this competitive running thang for 18 months now,
     few would call us lard bottoms. ON THE OTHER HAND..........

     CITY-SOFT? Ugh. You Betcha. "Trail-ready shape" strikes me as those
     magical types who wake at the same time as you, but are packing their
     cooking gear about the time your stove is sputtering to life, and are
     hoisting their packs and hitting the road about the time you're water
     is boiling. You never actually saw them move any faster than you,
     never rushed, never hurried; they just finesse the _living_ part of
     hiking so much better. The "trail-ready" types look at the city
     softies and wonder "What takes these people so loooong, anyway?" Our
     Labor Day hike had us decamping in 2+ hours, if we were lucky, in a
     mad rush at that.

     I know that ONCE UPON A TIME, I actually STUDIED a gal named Karen
     Niven (a '76 and 79 throughhiker who never registered. She hiked in 3
     pair of regular ol' work boots, by the way). Karen was magic. We
     camped together for maybe three weeks in Virginny, and I evaluated my
     mornings by how far behind Karen I left camp. I studied, watched,
     noted, espied, evaluated, experimented, and got better, faster, and
     easier with my morning routine. By the time we parted company (never,
     actually, to meet again), I was as economical in motion and efficient
     in method as she, and finally knew that I was in the dawn of a New
     Hiking Day! I've always wanted to thank her for being my teacher...

     So I/we ARE NOT "trail-ready" by any stretch. Hiking is made by time
     on the trail, not time in camp, and we're not there, plain and simple.
     I think any camp-efficient lard-bottom would have no problem hiking
     city-softies into the ground, just as the tortoise did in the hare. I
     have had to relax alot on this score, and as we get our boys involved
     in camp chores, I am sure we'll have to relax even more.......before
     things start to get better. Expectations and all that. Too bad. We'll
     live. (But if we could get outta Dodge, relaxed, well under an hour?
     Hooo-Boy!)

     So I think there's two kinds of "trail-ready shape."
     Call me Softtoe.