[at-l] Get ready to Tuckerize my pack

Hi Peter,
I appreciate your input.

Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:23:10 -0500
From: "Peter Nyberg" <pnyberg@pipeline.com>
John, you don't give a guy much to work with, so I've only got a few
comments...

I have been able to par down my pack weight by listening to others and
being willing to change the way I used to pack my pack.

>Tilley hat weight 6 ounces
I'm not sure what what kind of hat this is exactly.  I use an OR Seattle
Sombrero which weighs 4oz.  I'm pretty sure that you're familiar with these,
since your friend Michael Connick has one on his pack list.  What's the
advantage of this style?

My only reason is I like this style of hat.  The Tilley hat is a brimmed
hat made from cotton.  The OR hat is a better hat hands down.

> 10 tent pegs weight 6 ounces
I'm sure you have your reasons, but that seems like a lot of tent pegs.

I'll use 6 tent pegs to secure the tarp and the additional 4 are for the
times when I need to use my staffs to set up the tarp.  In this case I use
2 tent pegs to secure each staff.

>3 Platyapus  1.5 liter containers weight 3 ounces
I assume these are mostly for use in camp.  If you haven't already, get the
Platypus push/pull cap.  It makes them much more convienent to use.

I'm not familiar with the push/pull cap Platypus.  I wonder if it works
with the hydration system I use?  I'll check it out next time I visit
Campmor or EMS.  Shucks, now I HAVE to visit Campmor and EMS.

>Eyeglass case, screw driver and extra eyeglass screws 3 ounces
I assume you're not as blind as me, or you'd have either spare glasses or
contacts as a backup.

Your right again.  I neglected to list extra glasses in my drift box.

>Maps and data information  concerning sections of trail weight 10 ounces
Seems like a lot of weight here.  You carrying an atlas? :^)

I was estimating the weight for these items.  It would be nice to lower
this amount.  When I get all the maps and data gear ready I'll have a
better idea what the actual weight will be.

>6 Band-Aids, 32 Motrin tablets, bic lighter, waterproof matches and
It's been my experience that if I get a cut or scrape on the trail and need
Band-Aids, I go through a lot of them.  They don't weigh much.  At least I'd
think you want some more in your bounce box.

Your right I should increase the amount of Band-Aids in my pack and drift box.

>Writing paper, 2 pens and one pencil weight 3 ounces
2 pens and a pencil? Seems redundant.

Good suggestion I eliminate one pen and add it to the drift box.

>Bio-degradable soap weight 2 ounces
If this is liquid soap (like Mountain Suds) you could probably cut this down
a ounce.  I think one liquid ounce would last me a month.  REI sells 1 oz
squeese bottles.

Now I have to visit REI to get the 1 oz soap container.  Not sure where
their located?

>100' of parachute cord weight 4 ounces
Seems like more than necessary.

100' includes amount of cord I'll use for bear bagging and setting up tarp.

Did I miss it?  No sleeping pad at all?  Ouch!

Ouch indeed.  Even if I didn't write this one down it will be carried.
I've left all sorts of items home when I've gone hiking except sleeping pad.
I carry a z-rest weight is 12 ounces.

Thanks again for your input it has been helpful especially the sleeping
pad.  It hurts just thinking about being without it.
Have a good one.
John