[at-l] Sleeping Bags

I've been pricing a new bag for winter use.  The bag I'm
presently using is a 20 degree semi-rectangular Lite-Loft
from EMS.  Although it is quite warm, it's rather cramped
around the shoulders.

I'd discussed with you about adding a wedge.  Mumsy offered
to do this, just to make the bag a little larger.  While I
was touring the various links for sleeping bags, I came
across a couple of bags I'd seen some years ago.  They have
a dual rating.  How unique.

They are thicker on one side than the other.  Possible
combinations could be 0/20 or 15/40, something of that
order.

"Mumsy, don't cut the bag.  I've a better idea."

Instead of adding a wedge from another bag to increase the
physical dimension of the bag in the shoulder area, I've
decided to make a dual rating bag.

How?

I'll take the "no good" bag which has been kicking around in
the basement for a few years.  It is filled with a
synthetic, not quite as light as Lite Loft, but CHEAP.  My
intention is to sew half of the old bag over half of my new
bag, with a slight overlap to accomodate the extra 10 inches
I'd like to have in the shoulders.  Yes, it will add weight,
but I'll be better equipped for winter camping.  My old bag
is rated for 30 degrees.  Added to my new bag, I should be
good for 0 to -10 easy.

Summer camping:  Use the single side up
Winter camping:  Use the double side up

I hope I don't ruin my new bag in the process.  If you see
tears blotching my next email, you'll know what happened.

"Sweeter Rain" a.k.a. Ern Grover
ICQ: 922536 / AOL: MaineMan47
Website: http://www.cybertours.com/~ern/

Family Outdoors:  Read this list on the Web at
http://www.FindMail.com/list/sweeter-rain/  Subscription
details are available at this address.

"The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine
that age brings wisdom." - H. L. Mencken