Re: [at-l] Get ready to Tuckerize my pack

>Hi Folks,
>Here is what I plan on taking for the first section of my thru-hike
>starting March 1st.  I've used all the gear listed and plan on
>experimenting till it is time to leave for Georgia.  I would appreciate any
>suggestion.
>Have fun and let the games begin.

John, you don't give a guy much to work with, so I've only got a few
comments...

>Tilley hat weight 6 ounces
I'm not sure what what kind of hat this is exactly.  I use an OR Seattle
Sombrero which weighs 4oz.  I'm pretty sure that you're familiar with these,
since your friend Michael Connick has one on his pack list.  What's the
advantage of this style?

> 10 tent pegs weight 6 ounces
I'm sure you have your reasons, but that seems like a lot of tent pegs.

>3 Platyapus  1.5 liter containers weight 3 ounces
I assume these are mostly for use in camp.  If you haven't already, get the
Platypus push/pull cap.  It makes them much more convienent to use.

>Eyeglass case, screw driver and extra eyeglass screws 3 ounces
I assume you're not as blind as me, or you'd have either spare glasses or
contacts as a backup.

>Maps and data information  concerning sections of trail weight 10 ounces
Seems like a lot of weight here.  You carrying an atlas? :^)

>6 Band-Aids, 32 Motrin tablets, bic lighter, waterproof matches and
It's been my experience that if I get a cut or scrape on the trail and need
Band-Aids, I go through a lot of them.  They don't weigh much.  At least I'd
think you want some more in your bounce box.

>Writing paper, 2 pens and one pencil weight 3 ounces
2 pens and a pencil? Seems redundant.

>Bio-degradable soap weight 2 ounces
If this is liquid soap (like Mountain Suds) you could probably cut this down
a ounce.  I think one liquid ounce would last me a month.  REI sells 1 oz
squeese bottles.

>100' of parachute cord weight 4 ounces
Seems like more than necessary.

Did I miss it?  No sleeping pad at all?  Ouch!

Good Hiking,
     Peter

    Visit me at: http://www.pipeline.com/~pnyberg