Re: [at-l] Get ready to Tuckerize my pack

At 06:51 PM 11/2/98 -0700, John F. O'Mahoney wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>Here is what I plan on taking for the first section of my thru-hike
>starting March 1st.  I've used all the gear listed and plan on
>experimenting till it is time to leave for Georgia.  I would appreciate any
>suggestion.

[...]

>Esbit metal folding stove weight 3 ounces
>Esbit non-toxic fuel tabs 14 day supply weight 21 ounces
>Aluminum wind screen weight 1 ounce

A zip stove with AA battery is only 17 ounces.

[...]

>Mini-Maglite 2 AA flashlight with lanyard and extra bulb weight 1 ounce
>4 AAA batteries weight 1 ounce

Standardize on one type of battery, then carry only two to four
spare batteries for all of your electronic stuff. What are the
odds that you'll have to replace the batteries of both your camera
and your flashlight on the same trip? You can always cannibalize
from other equipment should the need arise.

[...]

>emergency birthday candles weight 2 ounces

Ditch the candles; carry more matches. Some day you're going to
leave your pack in a buttoned-up car on a blistering hot day,
and you won't appreciate what the candles will do to your gear
if your ziploc bag isn't watertight. Trust me.

[...]

>Paperback book weight 4 ounces

Carry a Penguin 60 or two. Their Barbara Jordan/Bo Gritz edition
of the U.S. Constitution (i.e. one you can always keep on your
person) doesn't weigh more than an ounce.

>Small roll of toilet paper weight 1 ounce

If you're carrying a Stephen King novel you won't need this --
use the pages instead. Start with the last chapter because that's
where King usually displays his lack of talent most prominently.
All you need to know is that unexplained supernatural phenomena
smite the villian in repetative, poorly crafted prose.

A high school friend of mine who used to belong to a "back to
the land" hippy Jesus cult (think Easy Rider, but with corporal
punishment thrown in) told me that crumpling the pages thoroughly
before wiping made the paper both softer and more absorbant.

--
mfuller@somtel.com; Northern Franklin County, Maine
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt.  }>:-/> --->