[at-l] Hike Inn - New lodgings at Amicalola

This was sent to me by a friend from Georgia. Thought you all (y'all?) might
like to read it. Currently my wife and I are planning to spend two nights in the
park at the start of my hike - in the Lodge...

-Paddler

Hike Inn

New Amicalola Falls facility is accessible only by foot

When the new Len Foote Hike Inn opens at Amicalola Falls State Park on November
1, hikers will find a unique oasis at the end of their journey. After a five
mile hike guests are welcomed to Georgia's only backcountry inn with hot meals,
a summer camp atmosphere and comfortable beds. In other words, this is no
ordinary backpacking trip or roadside hotel.

"This lodge was designed for hikers who want to view spectacular sunrises in a
remote location but are not comfortable with backpacking," explained State Parks
Director Burt Weerts.

The Len Foote Hike Inn is accessible only by an easy-to-moderate trail winding
through scenic Amicalola Falls State Park and the Chattahoochee National Forest.
Meals, bedding and bath linens are provided so guests carry only their personal
items in a small backpack. Twenty rooms open to a shared, wrap-around porch and
are furnished with bunk beds. The Sunrise Room — facing east for spectacular
morning views — is a gathering place for guests to swap stories about hiking
experiences. Hearty meals are served family style in the dining room, while a
bathhouse provides hot showers. Four and-a-half miles from the inn stands
Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the famous Appalachian Trail.

"We expect serious hikers may begin their 2,100-mile trek to Maine from this
inn," Weerts said. "In fact, the Hike Inn is operated by a non-profit group
affiliated with the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club." Managed by Appalachian
Education Research Services (AERS) and owned by the Georgia Department of
Natural Resources (DNR), the inn offers environmental educational programs such
as astronomy and wildflower hikes. All profits are designated for improvements
at Georgia’s state parks and along the Appalachian Trail.

Reservations are required and are accepted up to 11 months in advance by calling
800-864-7275 (770-389-7275 in Metro Atlanta). Rates are $55/person for double
occupancy; $75/person for single and include dinner and breakfast. Children's
rates and adjoining family rooms are available. For more information about the
Len Foote Hike Inn call 404-656-3530.