Re: [at-l] Tarps and stuff

kahley7 wrote:

> Can someone explain to me the logic of the Para Wing shape for
> a tarp?  I just can't see it in my mind, how the elongated corners
> are preferable to to a rectangle.  I don't like the printing on
> the tyvek and painting it reduces stuff-ability.I've heard about tarps
> that are supposed to be even lighter but they are always
> odd shaped....parawing.  Anyone have any idea???    k./\

The parawing shape sheds the wind really well. We experienced this in
the worst way on a canoe trip during hurricane Bob a number of years
ago. We set up two tarps, both well tied to trees. The first was the
classic blue plastic and the second my Campmor parawing. The storm hit
us for three straight days with 40-80mph winds.

The blue tarp shredded. The parawing simply deformed a little.

During the storm, the parawing performed remarkably well. The square
just acted like a big sail.

-Paddler