[at-l] Waterproof Matches

As you may recall, a while back I asked the assembled wisdom and experience
of the list for possible alternatives to cigarette lighters for lighting
stoves. As a result, I was introduced to the concept of matches, and to a
particular subset of that genre, waterproof matches.  So, I got some.  They
happen to be Coughlan's Waterproof Safety Matches, 'cause that's what
Campmor had in their catalog.

I think I would have preferred the more dangerous kind.  By putting 'Strike
On Box Only' on the label, it would seem that they are advertising a
limitation in the product, not valuable feature.  But they are true to their
word.  When they say 'Only', they mean it.  I've tried a half dozen or so
alternative materials as strikers, and raised nary a spark.

Since I was in an experimenting mood, I thought I would test the claim of
'waterproof'.  I held a match under my kitchen faucet for several seconds,
and then dragged it along the striker.  The match burst into flames on the
first try.  Not yet completely satisfied, I held the striker under the
kitchen faucet, and tried again to create fire.  No can do!  It seems the
matches are waterproof, but the striker is not.  What's the use of that?

So, I cut the strikers off the box, and put the strikers and the matches
into an empty film canister, which should keep both matches and strikers
dry.   I'm sure this will work OK, but getting a match lit will be a
somewhat clumsy and inelegant process.  Perfection has not been reached.

I'll keep looking.

Peter

Visit my hiking pages at http://www.pipeline.com/~pnyberg/Hiking/Hiking.html