Re: [at-l] Introduction

JannaPet@aol.com wrote:

> Hiyall;
> A guy told me to check out this list because the
> people here had a sense of humor andprobably forgot
>  more about backpacking the AT than he could ever
> learn.  I'm hoping you haven't forgot it all cause I
> might have a few questions. For instance, is there
> some sort of super database where i could find the
> lightest semi-rec synthetic 20 degree back?
> Or are ya'll the database <g>    JP

JP -
There is a website for Backpacker magazine at www.bpbasecamp.com  On
that web page are several forums - one of them does nothing but discuss
gear.  It is subdivided by category - packs, boots etc. They get pretty
detailed discussions on the specifics of gear - at-l doesn't get into
that as much because for thruhiking, gear isn't as important as you
would think.  There is no one piece of perfect gear that works for
everyone.  You get successful thruhikers with top of the line stuff, and
with 20 year old attic specials.  It's what's in the head, not what's in
the pack that matters most.
Ginny