Re: [at-l] C & O canal towpath

In a message dated 10/27/98 4:34:20 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
Mail2beau@aol.com writes:

> Next week I'm going to be near the C & O canal in Maryland.  I've be told
you
>  can hike the entire length, 184 miles, and camp along the way. This looks
> like
>  a fun trail to have a laid back hike.  Has anyone done distance hiking on
> the
>  C & O?  I will have about 4 days free to hike.  Any suggestions on a
section
>  to hike.  A problem I have is my car. Leaving it and getting back to it.
> Any
>  ideas?  Thanks for you help.
>  Take care..........

Hi!

I have done 100 miles of it in different parts.  There are campsites around
every 6 miles with picnic tables, privys, and fire pits. They are quite
beautiful.  They remove the trash cans and the pump handles when the weather
gets cold, so you will definately need to contact the NPS to see if you have
access to water.  If the pumps are closed, you definately need to take a water
filter because your only source will be the Potomac River.

There are 5 train stations on the canal: DC, Brunswick, Point of Rocks,
Harpers Ferry, and Cumberland.  Some of the AT shuttles around the Harpers
Ferry area will also do canal shuttling.  The prettiest areas are around
Harpers Ferry, Great Falls,  and then west between Cumberland and
Williamsport.  Little Orleans shuttle canoists so they may shuttle hikers too.
The most beautiful part I have been on has been between Hancock and Little
Orleans.  The most historical is close to DC and in the Fort Frederick area.
There are also sections you can do to turn it into a party trip lol. Great
Falls, Whites Ferry, Brunswick, Shepherdstown, McMahons Mill, Hancock, and
Little Orleans have trail watering holes.  The one in Little Orleans is
famous!

Any other questions?

       choovers