Re: [at-l] Query: LLBean White Mountain Mountaineer Pack

From: Mayer, Jim <JMayer@crt.xerox.com>
Subject: [at-l] Query: LLBean White Mountain Mountaineer Pack

>Has anyone looked at this pack?  It seems like it might be a good size and
>weight for long distance hiking.
>
>capacity: 3,240-4,250
>weight: 3 lb. 11 oz
>torso fit: 17"-22"
>price: $115

That pack caught my eye at some point too.  It sure is hard to tell much
from just the picture, but one thing I did notice was that the pack lacks
load lifter straps.  I'm not sure how important that is, but it made me
pause.

Looking around the 'net for more info, I found the following review at
"Views from the Top" (http://www.lexicomm.com/views/index.html):

***** START OF REVIEW ****
Make/Model of pack: LL Bean Mountaineering Pack

Type of pack: internal/rucksack

Size: 3500+

Number of pockets: 3

Max Weight carried by owner: 30 lbs

Height of owner: 5'7"

Price: $99

Comments: A good example of why price should NOT be a big concern when pack
shopping.
Although cheap, this pack carries rather poorly. It lacks a true lumbar
pad to focus the weight to the small of your back, the waistbelt padding is
minimal and covered with a slippery nylon that fails to stay put on your
hips, and the sack design throws the weight away from (rather than down on)
your shoulders. Avoid the temptation of the sub-$100 price tag and buy a
real alpine pack--the suffering on the trail isn't worth any
savings . I finally sold mine this year.

Submitted by: Scott Crosson
*** END OF REVIEW ***

Of course, this is just one person's opinion.  And, of course, with LL Bean
you can always order it to check it out, and be sure of a no hassle return
if you don't like it.

Good hunting for that perfect pack, and let us know if you find it!

Peter