Re[2]: [at-l] Giardia's dirty little secret.

        And let's see....100 years ago, when sewerage went piped (or
        alleyed) into ANY flowing stream from any population center too
        concentrated to allow for AN OUTHOUSE? No Best Available Technology;
        no diatomaceous filtering; no nuttin. And WATER? Just like the
        backcountry, you "took" upstream, you "put" downstream -- and let
        the downstream "takers" worry about it.
        Thank goodness, I guess, that "human fecal contamination" is not the
        same as "giardia" or "crypto"....

        Tom
        "Carrier"
        "Yes, I've tested Positive."
        "But I don't SEE any Giardia!"
        "Freedom means never having to say you've Filtered."
        Sloetoe'79
        downHILL'00
        McGinnis

In a message dated 10/22/98 7:26:42 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
thewitt@fairchildsemi.com writes:

> I'm not sure what source what source you quote for this bit of rubbish, but
> you can bet both Giardia and Crypto are much more prevalent now in the
> "backcountry" then they were 100 years ago - or even 30 years ago.  If I
> must I can probably dig up the studies that were done in the 1980s in the
> Cascades of Washington state that tested water sources for human fecal
>contamination and found that over 80% of all water sources were contaminated
at >higher than Federal standards for drinking water.

I wouldn't be so sure that Giardia and Crypto wasn't as prevelant in the
backcountry 100 years ago.  After all,  the studies you speak of were done in
the 1980's

I'm under the impression your body can deal with the beasties if you drink
from natural sources.  The more you isolate yourself, by the use of filters or
if your regular source is town water and thereby treated, the more of a chance
your body will react.

Just my opinion,  Sly