[at-l] Giardia's dirty little secret.

Ern wrote:
> On our weekend in the Whites, we met a thru-hiker (north to
> south).  He had been off the trail for four days over a two
> week period.
>
> You guess it, Giardia.  Ironic, isn't it.  He had a filter,
> but the water "looked" good.
>
> They say... once you get it (Giardia), you won't hesitate to
> use a filter at all sources.  I don't think it's worth the
> risk to be stupid once.

I don't usually speak up on the filter threads, but i feel compelled to say
something here. I can take being called a lot of things, but stupid isn't one
of them. While i'm sure you didn't mean for the last line to be taken in an
insulting manner, it does kind of come across that way to me, since i sent my
filter home in Tyro, VA and used iodine very infrequently after that. I don't
consider myself, or any of the other thru-hikers who chose the same route, to
be stupid, or even ignorant for that matter.

Respectfully walking with light,

-Rambleon-