[at-l] Re: Simple Experiments Dept.

At 08:24 AM 10/22/1998 -0500, Thomas McGinnis wrote:
>     Simple experiment for those who don't mind sacrificing an expensive
>     filter element for Science and the at-l: Fill a punch bowl with water,
>     dump in sufficient food coloring to creat an obvious hue to the water,
>     then filter a pint, pack up your filter, unpack your filter, filter
>     another pint, repeat, repeat, repeat, till the punch bowl is empty.
>
>     My bet is that the bag storing the hoses will be the same color as the
>     water. Darn that Midas Touch!

There is a design problem in this experiment. What is the particle size of the
food color? How does it compare to particle size of the bacteria, cysts, and
viruses we are trying to filter out?

A similar "experiment" would be to filter salt water. Surprise, you get
filtered salt water. Try the same thing with an alkali water source. You get
poisonous filtered alkali water.

Try a different experiment. Which gets you sicker quicker: shaking hands with a
man who had diarrhea 30 minutes ago, or drinking filtered water?

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA