Re: [at-l] Bad water/Gathering

"Charles W. Davidson" wrote:

>         Did I drink bad water at the Gathering? No but I thought I had brought
> it with me. Actually after my two weeks hike in Vermont and New
> Hampshire I began to have a little bit of an upset tummy. I had drank
> from lots of creeks without purifying so of course they were high on my
> list of suspects. I had also taken a Flue Shot after I returned home.
> Well for you doctors out there my symptoms were loose stool for several
> days then just lots of gas that seemed to come on anytime my stomach was
> getting low on food. Also I really tired out quickly at the end of the
> day. Seems like I missed lots of fun by crashing early at the Gathering
> but I was pooped!
>         Now that its been two weeks since the end of my trip I feel fine again.
> Perhaps my problems come from a combination of things. I know I let
> myself run down physically during my two weeks of exertion on the trail.
> This of course made me more susceptible to any bugs that I may have
> encountered.

I doubt anyone would be willing to give you a diagnosis based on this information.
Bad food is also a likely cause of these complaints, as well as any number of
possible viral infections. Even psychosomatic issues may be involved. This can also
result from careless handling of a smoke shifter.

>         Since water purification is often a topic of concern on this list...If I
> every get a chance to do a Thur-Hike I may just carry my Pur-Hiker with me when I
> reach the New England areas with all there swampy, marsh like black mud and
> beaver ponds. I would also remind you that the filter is useless unless it is
> properly stored with inlet and outlet hoses stored separately.

It really isn't quite that difficult to keep the hoses seperated. Even if kept
seperated, you must waste the first pint or two of water to flush the pump and
lines.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA