[at-l] Re: A different view of the C-word thingy

Jim- one of the reasons I enjoy this list is that many of the responses such
as yours are well thought out and interesting.
as to your points-
1) the inuit were our guides, and they are most fascinating people. for all
their survival skills and abilities, they like to stay in touch with home,
even when on the ice. but you are quite correct in your assumptions,.
2)as a youth i have done " ultimate camping" ie i used to go live in a snow
hut with out a sleeping bag about 100 miles north of montreal in february. my
parents thought i was psychotic, and in retrospect i now agree. i has some
very unpleasant experiences like my boots freezing on my feet, and i now enjoy
my comforts- a sleeping matt, a bag, a head lamp, a stove- ive done it the
other way- it sucks.
3) the fear factor is definitely there. i like the escape but i have a huge
practice and responsiblity to worry about- back home.perhapswhen i retire if i
can figure out how to pacify my wife i will thru hike- and without a phone.
for now it will stay at the bottom of my pack, and will be used with
consideration, so as not to disturb anothers sense of tranquility.
4) mostly i think the readers and posters on this list are a group of wise
folks beyond your years, and i am so glad to be even a small part of it- of
course God does irritate the crap out of me!!<vbg> Jim