[at-l] Gathering: Best of, Worst of NOMINATIONS

     BEST NAME TAGS:
     Chase's AT-L.

     WORST SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS:
     The poor schmuck wrapped in fleece blankets on the blue poly tarp
     20feet down slope and downwind from the campfire. He was still crashed
     at noon on Sunday, looking like a murder victim except for the
     occasional snore. I got cold just looking at him.

     WORST FOOD ARRANGEMENTS:
     Concord College. On the other hand, it was cheap. But it should have
     been labelled AYCSILF, as in All You Can Stand In Line For. Lines
     Outside? Down the Stair? Across the Corridor and Out the OTHER door?
     Yeesh. We learned, a little too late, to hit our cooler and cruise the
     Folklife Center.

     BEST CAMP HOSTS:
     14 year old Josh Lambert and his Mom, who adopted our kids and us and
     really made us sad to leave.

     BEST SIGNAGE:
     That ALDHA symbol just says it all, doesn't it? Whoever designed it
     should take a bow, along with the chap who placed the signs at the
     road crossings.

     BEST WEATHER:
     I know, I know: Sunday's was just beautiful blue sky, yada, yada,
     yada. But when we arrived and set up camp at 1:00am local time
     Saturday morning, it was blowing 10mph, cloudy and cold. There were
     two conversation areas going -- one near the bottom of the hill, and
     the other at the campfire. I went to the campfire first, figuring I'd
     freeze fast enough, then wander down the slope to the other talk-spot.
     Got there, inside of 10 minutes the weather seemed to warm, the wind
     slowed, and sky cleared. I got to bed after 4:00am. (Dreamed of bad
     hiker jokes, too.) Thanks to the weather.

     WORST PHYSICAL PLANNING:
     Concord College, for having us tootle all over the landscape for what
     was really a limited number of classroom needs. I feel embarrassed
     about this one, though: why should a bunch of throughhikers be whining
     about walking around campus?

     BEST TUTU:
     No nominations were received by the committee. Had heard rumors of
     some pink thing going on, but only saw a subliminal-speed halucination
     at lunch on Saturday. Assumed it was from lack of breakfast. It was
     not pretty.

     BEST ORGY-NIZER:
     Bleeder Guy. Yes, the AT-L should do it again! (Meet in a
     mini-Gathering)

     WORST AIM:
     All the guys, I assume, who utilized the plentiful porta-pots around
     the camping areas. Disgusting. My wife didn't say anything, but I
     think the reason the porta-pots ran out of TP so early was from the
     clean-up required before you could sit. "Big Bucks with Short Horns"
     my mother would say.

     BEST CROWD:
     ALDHA. The Folklife Center caretaker told us Sunday morning that she
     was shocked at the lack of litter around the Center, after hearing the
     goings-on into the wee hours of the morning. "This is just outrageous,
     I though it would be a disaster area" she said. "This is the AT!" we
     said. Good crowd.

     WORST TIME TO BE WITHOUT MY CAMERA:
     At the close of the "Endurance Running" session, David Horton asked
     Gene Espy to step down and pose with he and Warren Doyle. Espy in the
     middle, Doyle on his right, Horton on his left, arm in arm, all three
     grinning big. What a trio. Where do I get my copy?

     BEST PUNT OF A SIMPLE QUESTION:
     I asked David Horton if he felt anything analogous to Bill Rodgers
     comment on marathoners ("I have the greatest respect for those people
     who run a marathon in 4 and 5 or 6 hours -- I can't IMAGINE being on my
     feet for that long.") as far as throughhikers go (who generally take
     more than 55 days to throughhike the AT). Did he think hiking the AT for
     150-160 days was tougher in some ways than his 55? His reply was
     something like "I respect anybody with the courage to come here (the
     AT). Next question." I don't know. Maybe it was me. Maybe the delivery.
     DH?

     BEST UNABASHED COMPETITIVENESS:
     David Horton. Shocking. Unrepentent, unabashed, unmitigated
     competitiveness through and through. After the first shock, I have to
     admit, it was quite refreshing. I wanted to go run or something. But I did
        have to admit that for as much as I love running, and love hiking, this
       guy is in another league altogether. Wowser.

     WORST PARENTAL MANUEVER:
     Expecting my kids to allow Alison and I to enjoy workshops without
     worries. Gave up Saturday afternoon, traded off with Alison after
     that. Sunday was much nicer. One day, they'll owe us! (Yeah, right.
     Collect on that. Sure.)

     BEST WAY TO START A CONTROVERSY:
     Walk up to a group of 2000 milers and say "One should filter every
     drop of water -- agree or disagree?" Wow. Encouraging to hear the
     differences. Surprising to see a correlation between age and
     filtering: the younger (or newer hiker) you were, the more likely you
     were to filter your water, and to consider anyone who didn't an
     irresponsible fool. Call me old and crusty.

     BEST LESSON FOR NEXT GATHERING:
     Stay at the tents. Talk. Listen. Learn. Runner-up? Bring your own food.

     BEST HIKER JOKES:
     If only I could remember. Not that I couldn't remember, except for the
     beer....., more like I just suck at remembering jokes. But Kahley7 was
     there SOMEWHERE!!??

     BEST-REPRESENTED BACKPACK:
     Dana. Hands down. At least among the ones which were visible. Too
     heavy for my blood.

     WORST-REPRESENTED TENT SHAPE:
     Does ANYBODY own an A-frame tent anymore? I didn't see a one. Every
     now-and-then I get a reminder about how much SOME things have changed.