Re: [at-l] cell phones

In a message dated 10/14/98 0:26:45 AM EDT, pacetti@mail.utexas.edu writes:

<< .I believe that is why we, or at least I, go out into the woods...to
 get away from civilization for a while, to test our mettle, to see what
 we are made of, but most of all to enjoy what is out there, that which
 is greater than ourselves, and yes though that may be frightening--Jack
 London had a lot to say about this--it is ultimately exhilirating...and
 though it cannot be denied that the argument for emergency preparedness
 is indeed valid, call it foolishness, but it is the spirit of adventure
 to take what Nature gives you...the cell phone, as I see it, is that
 last ace-up-the-sleeve for Man as he thinks that he has finally
 subjugated Nature to his own ends...and I think that all here would
 agree that that sentiment is at odds with why we 'just go for a walk'...

 ...returning to the lair of lurking...
 Andy

If y'all really want to test your self. Then why do y'all take a pack, food,
tent, sleeping bag and so on?

Be one with nature, go hiking with only the clothes on your back. Go into the
wilderness for a week.

Wildbill