Re: [at-l] cell phones

> so whats the beef about carrying a small phone for emergency use? Why > live in the 18th century?

With all due respect, and this is spoken an electrical engineering
student, you answered that question yourself already:

"...it definetely heightened my isolation expereience...in that we were
totally cut off from civilization..."

...I believe that is why we, or at least I, go out into the woods...to
get away from civilization for a while, to test our mettle, to see what
we are made of, but most of all to enjoy what is out there, that which
is greater than ourselves, and yes though that may be frightening--Jack
London had a lot to say about this--it is ultimately exhilirating...and
though it cannot be denied that the argument for emergency preparedness
is indeed valid, call it foolishness, but it is the spirit of adventure
to take what Nature gives you...the cell phone, as I see it, is that
last ace-up-the-sleeve for Man as he thinks that he has finally
subjugated Nature to his own ends...and I think that all here would
agree that that sentiment is at odds with why we 'just go for a walk'...

...returning to the lair of lurking...
Andy