Re: [at-l] cell phones

In a message dated 10/13/98 8:00:46 PM Central Daylight Time, you write:

<< On a recent trip to Northern
 Quebec I had to leave it home, because we were out of range. Although it
 definetely heightened my isolation expereience, it also scared the
 dickens out of me, in that we were totally cut off from civilization. >>

Just speaking for myself...being totally cut off from civilization is the
whole point of heading into the wilderness.  The risks that come with that are
just part of the experience.  I also take quite a few of my trips solo, as
well as do a good bit of bushwhacking.  The map and compass are always with
me, the cell phone...never.

Good Hiking,
Jim
"Earth gives life and seeks the man who walks gently upon it."