[at-l] The Gathering

Back from West Virginia and my second Gathering.  Talk about differences.
My first Gathering was the beginning of my thru-hike, at least in spirit.
The enthusiam I felt from that weekend was what convinced me that "YES! I
AM DOING A THRU-HIKE!!!!". A weekend that brought about my first steps on
an incredible adventure.
	The second Gathering brought my thru-hike to an end. I was able to
again see  the caretakers, hostel owners, and fellow hikers who were part
of my hike. A special surprise was seeing Squanto, a member of my 'class'
who summitted  Katahdin the same day I did. Saying goodbye to him was
awkward. We both knew it would be a while before we saw each other again.
Only proved that my friends from the trail will always be friends, even
if I do not see or talk to them again until several years from now.  I
finally start to work again  this Wednesday. Being employed again and
conforming to a schedule is as much a sign that the hike is over as
anything.  The Gathering confirmed some ideas about my hike. I have a
strong sense of wanderlust that has only grown after my thru-hike, and
that hikers -no matter what the age, background or beliefs, share a bond
that transcends all these differences. My family consists of more than my
brothers and parents, in consists of anyone who has followed that white
blaze, or dreams to.

	It was great to meet everyone from the mailing lists, and be a member of
an honorary group that was formed this past weekend. ;-)  The best part
of the Gathering is the  people, workshops are just an excuse for all of
us to get together!!!! (g).   Looking forward to Hanover in '99 - and a
hell of a lot less driving!

a great time was had this weekend, to sum up this rambling post!

ps. based on what a few people said to me this weekend, I must add this
statement for future reference:
No, I am not as tall as my picture makes me out to be! ;-)

-Paul aka Magaroni.....    all of 5'6"