Subject: [at-l] Knee Problems Revisited
Author:  bullard@northnet.org at ima
Date:    10/11/98 10:11 PM

Some time back there was a thread on knee problems and there was mention of
dietary supplements that could be taken to help. In August I offered some
iris plants from an overgrown bed to a friend and as we were digging them up
Tim commented on my older dog's limp. I told Tim that he (the dog) was 8 or
9 years old and had joint problems in his back legs that the vet said he
couldn't do anything about.

Tim told me that his collie was the same age and had been having difficulty
even getting up but that he was giving the dog Glucosamine and after about
6 weeks the dog was getting around much better and even wanted to play
Frisbee again. I'd heard about Glucosamine but had also heard it's supposed
benefits dismissed as a placebo effect. A dog, however, doesn't have
expectations or even know why you are giving it the pill so Tim's dog's
improvement couldn't be credited to a psychological phenomenon. I blew out
my knees running a couple of years ago and was having daily problems with
soreness and cracking/popping whenever I stood up from a sitting position.

I've been taking 500 mg of Glucosamine Sulfate (250 morning and 250
evening) for about 6-7 weeks now. That's half what I'd had recommended by
some sources for an initial dose period. In that time I've had only 3 or 4
days when my knees bothered me and only 2 days when my chronic bursitis cut
up. I have bursitis in both elbows and it was a frequent, if not daily,
problem which I was controlling with a stretching routine that I have now
all but abandoned.

Now it could be that my knees and elbows are better by mere coincidence but
we've also been giving the dog 250 mg a day. Although he is still somewhat
lame, in the last week he has begun getting up on the sofa by himself. He
hadn't done that for at least a year.

Conclusion: I believe that there is more than just a psychological effect
to Glucosamine. I intend to continue using it. It's not a cure. It won't
make you feel like you're 18 again (Damn) but both Thunder (my dog) and I
are doing better with it than without.

Saunterer