[at-l] PA Horse Wars redux

Howdy Listers,

Quite some time ago, I responded to a notice in this forum and sent the PA
Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources a letter in support of
regulations to close all hiking trails in PA to horses, ATVs, etc. unless
posted open.  Saturday I received a final compilation of all comments
received and the changes made in the regs.  It appears that the language
proposed to close the trails to horses, etc. has been deleted and the
matter will be taken up in a "work group to be made up of interested
stakeholders."  It looks like by shear force of numbers the hiking crowd
was substantially outnumbered by the horse crowd and therefore the language
was deleted.  The only bright side is that at least language wasn't
inserted in the opposite direction.

So could someone explain how these regulations will affect horse traffic on
the AT in PA?  Has the ATC taken an interest in these rules and will the
ATC have a seat at the table for the work group?  Let me know if more
letters would be helpful.

Hope everybody had a good time at the Gathering.

TTFN

Chris Vreeland