[at-l] PA hike report

the weather was not cooperative, but you throw the dice when planning a
weekend hike.  only three of us made it this time.  Skyline hiked from
Duncannon (conrail) to route 225.  i met him there and we both hiked to
Peter Mountain Shelter.  the shelter was occupied by three hikers, one
who was an engineer, the second a college student and the third a
retiree...  Ahhh, but you've heard it before...

Peters Mountain Shelter (PMS) is a wonderful structure with a loft, and
the table is covered.  there were actually 4 fellows in residence when we
arrived.  they had a radio turned up load, and there were liquor bottles
opened on the table...

there is the old PMS just up the trail from the new shelter.  we saw a
sturdy floor and a good roof and decided to stay there.  i unloaded my
gear in the shelter and skyline pitched his tent nearby.  as i was
gathering firewood, another hiker strolled into camp.  turns out he was
looking for us.  he had parked at Clarks Valley and hiked south.  his
name is Rob Vaughn, and he is twenty-something.  i had left a post on one
of the trail related websites on the net, and he had responded.  i didn't
think he would show up, though.  he set up in the shelter...

we got a good fire going before the worst of the rain, then huddled in
the shelter and had supper, scooting out occasionally to add wood to the
fire.  it was a chilly night, but the fire kept us warm.  For supper, Rob
had a pita and hummus, i had some baked beans and a bagel with PB&J, and
skyline actually lit his stove and made a hot meal.  we did benefit
though, since he made too much for himself...

it rained relentlessly through the night.  the shelter didn't leak, but
skylines tent did, though selectively.  he had one wet boot and one dry
boot in the morning!  we had some breakfast and packed up.  it was
decided that the rain was not going to stop, so we hiked out, skyline
north, and rob and i south.  this was necessay so that we all could get
back to, or shuttled to, our respective vehicles...

all in all it was a great hike with good people, but crappy weather.  it
was a departure for me, since i rarely backpack.  i hit the sack when i
got home and allowed my body some repair time.  i'm a bit hunched over
this morning, with some knee pain, but this is what happens when i hike.
people at work see me in this condition and wonder why i do this to
myself.  there really is no way to explain it...

pittsburgh