Re: [at-l] Sterno Stoves

At 9:58 AM -0400 10/04/98, Phillips wrote:
>Ok all you stove mavens- i tried an esbitt on my last canoe trip- too
>slow, too much soot on my pan- adequate for warming water- thats about
>it.
>
>I love my peak 1- but i'm tired of carrying the weight.
>
>i'm afraid of  an msr ie i want to still have hair on my knuckles and
>face..
>
>so what about sterno- any of u used sterno to heat things up-= how long
>to boil water, how long does it last etc etc Jim(dba flaboy)

Try the Hikenet Turbocharged Ultralight Weight Pellet Stove. Heats
50% Faster than the Esbit with same pellets. The Esbit has plenty of
problems because is does not "focus" heat, etc. The comparison reasons
are listed in:

http://members.aol.com/hikenet/ultralightstove.html

If you want fast, fast heat, use the Trioxane but watch out it has two draw
backs.
One is burns so good you might not even see the blue flame. The other is it
leave a black ooze. I leave the alumunim foil wrapper on the bottom that it
come in and no problem. Also the typical trioxane tablet does not give off
enough heat to heat a cup and half of water from cold. But just put in the
hexamine or coligan's, one they get going, they really put out lots of heat
too.

What I generally do is put a small piece of trioxane (  Ihave them already
choped up into little pieces in a small Glad bag)  in the hemamine or
coligan's pellets ( avail in outdoor stores) which are also already chopped
in two in another Glad bag
to start them faster. Gets a cup and half of hot water boiling in less
less then 3 minutes, no matter if windy.

Has worked like a charm for me. :)

Of course others will prefer bottled fuel, but I gave up on a esbit or sterno
long ago if you want fast, then the flue driven turbo charged unit using the
seven hits of heat and heat transfer is it...

Flame on ... woosh.. the number of pellets you need are dependent on how
cold the starting water is ( near freezing or warmer), Just a little
experience and that's that..

Tom "bear bells" Caggiano