RE: [at-l] Tyvek

Tyvek is made by Dupont.  The most commonly seen form is Tyvek Housewrap...
they use the stuff to protect insulation.  You often see it all over a house
just before the contractors put up siding.

Housewrap is available in 9 foot wide rolls and is rather crinkley... you
can improve its texture by putting a tarp sized piece through a front

Tyvek is also available in a couple of other weights, some of which are
suitable for clothing.  I think the other types are only available in 48
inch rolls, but I'm not sure.

If you scan the archives you'll find quite a bit of information about Tyvek,
including web pages, and stores that sell the stuff by the foot.

You can definitely make a tarp out of the housewrap, and it is lighter than
the usual polyester or 3oz coated nylon tarps you see around.  I doubt that
it is lighter than the 1.x oz silicone impregnated nylon that Stepensons
(the tent guy) sells or that Integral Designs makes tarps out of.

By the way, assuming that the company you were talking to is Integral
Designs.  I had them make a custom 6x8 foot tarp for me back before they
made the one they sell now, and their price was very reasonable.

-- Jim Mayer