[at-l] Trip Report

Hi Gang,

	I got a post card from Storm Cloud. Rob finished his northbound thru
hike September 20 and will be at the "GATHERING".
	Now about my hike in Vermont/New Hampshire. It was Great! But first let
me tell you about the transportation to Vermont. I did not take a
GreyHound Bus this time:-) I even sent my Pack via UPS. I took a plane
ride  (my first commercial flight) from Roanoke to Dulles to Albany. One
small problem, one engine would not crank so we got to Dulles airport
late and I missed my flight to Albany by 2 minuets. Well it was only a
four hour wait till the next flight :-(. Cindy and Larry really enjoyed
sitting around the airport in Albany an extra 4 hours while they waited
to shuttle me to the Trail head at VT-9 (Bennington):-)
	Since I arrived so late Saturday I only hiked about 4 miles. I was
carrying 5 days food supply to get me to "The Inn At The Long Trail".
The weather was too hot and stayed around 74 degrees during the day.
When it rained I welcomed the cooling effect and increase in horsepower.
I can do some miles at 74 degrees if I am good and wet.
	I really enjoyed this section. It was nice to be walking in the woods
again. Goddard Shelter has a great view of Mnt. Greylock. I met lots of
flipflopers and south bounders around Kid Gore shelter and on Stratton
Mountain. I slept out in my Bivi every night.
	I had nice surprise at Green Wall Shelter. Cindy and Larry had left me
some goodies there. MMMM cheese cake and fruit and Freetoes corn chips.
	Cooper Lodge and Pico Camp shelters where very inviting, with great
views, but I had visions of the Inn. It was a long day, but it was worth
it to get a bath, wash cloths and get juicy food and beer! The next day
after having lunch with Mrs. Gorp I hit the trail around 01:30 and
walked 7 miles to Stony Brook Shelter. The next morning I walked about
15 minuets before I met Ke Ka Ha Be, Felix and Pokeyhontus. Since they
were in a hurry to get to the post office before noon closing time, we
just had a quick chat.
	The next two days walk into Hanover was really hard. The mountains
seemed so steep, like Georgia only much higher mountains. Still I
managed to get in a 20 and a 17 mile day, with great effort. In Hanover
I loaded up with 6 days grocerys from the co-op. My pack was very heavey
as I made my way the .8 mile to Velvet Rocks Shelter. First item on the
agenda was to dispose of 8 oz of cheeze and 1/2 jar of peanut butter,
plus part of the pound of bagels I bought. A fellow north bounder
"Travis" helped with the food disposal.
	The next day I started out early, doing a shorter 14 mile day to
Trapper John Shelter. I had hoped to arrive early afternoon so I could
bath and do some laundry. I blasted up the trail (I thought) making
great time. I stopped for lunch at a nice creek (mmm creek water). After
eating a bite I took off down the trail only to step out onto a road
crossing that I had been at hours before! Some how I had apparently
taken a loop trail and wound up where I started. Disgruntle I proceeded
north again. In a bit I passed the same two old ladies that I had passed
earlier in the day. They were rather surprised to see me again and could
not figure how I was meeting them again.
	At Trapper John Shelter I met Michael a Ukrainian and a South Bounder.
We had lots of laughs (Mike had already drank a bottle of Port). Too
late for laundry but Mike told me about an unlisted Hostel in Glencliff.
I gave him three packs of Lipton noodles to lighten my load a bit more.
I can get more stuff in Glencliif.
	I got to Hexacuba shelter just as it was about to rain. There I met
Tennessee Tom and Juke Box, flip flopers heading south and packing
heavy. The next day I headed to the hostel at Glencliff. Also I called
Mrs. Gorp to arrange for my pickup Saturday and return to Albany
airport.
	Fancy Free a former thru hiker welcomes hikers to her house only 1/2
mile from the trail in Glencliff, a store is another 4 miles or so.. For
$10. you get floor space, washer and dryer and a hot outdoor shower. She
hopes to have the place fixed up nicer for next year. Self service put
your money in the cup ice cream sandwiches in the freezer. The out door
shower was quit exhilarating when the wind blew. And the neighbors house
was a little close for comfort too. Fancy Free said she showered out
there every morning and the neighbor never complained:-)
A south bounder was also staying there E B Kenezer or something like
that. We hit a local pizzeria and store too.
	Mnt. Moosilauke was quite a long climb. I went up all morning. On top
it was above tree line and fantastic. I took a bunch of pictures. A
local fellow was kind enough to point out and name the distant
mountains. I could see Killington and a great clear view of Mnt
Washington. I could even see the coal smoke from the cog railroad on
Mnt. Washington. I met another north bounder here. Bufford was planning
on coming off the trail at the next road crossing (Kinsman Notch 112).
He had gone much further than his planned hike to Harpers Ferry and was
ready to head home for the winter. The climb down the north side of
Moosilauke is something to see. Very steep rock for a couple of miles.
often pockets had been dynamited into the rock for you to steep in. Lots
of  wooden steeps were attached to the rock face. I descended next to
Beaver Brook all the way to Kinsman Notch. As I was looking for a
campsite I spyed Mrs. Gorp in the parking lot. She gave Bufford and I a
ride into town for a nice meal and a buss trip home for Bufford.
	The walk to Kinsman Shelter was the hardest I have ever done. It took
me 7 1/2 hours to do this 10 miles. I had to crawl a couple of times.
The trail went straight up was very rocky with big rocks so it took big
steeps to go up them. Kinsman Pond was very nice in the star light that
night. The walk out by Lonesome Lake Hut was a lot easier. Lonesome lake
was very pretty, with great reflections of the surrounding mountains.
	Mrs. Gorp gave me a ride back to Vermont where I spent the night at her
home. Her husband Larry prefers his  motorcycle to back packing, but
will do a few 10 mile days occasionally. The net day I flew to Roanoke,
picked up my truck at Woodelfs house and drove home. I lost 7 pounds on
this trip. Only 96 miles to Maine! I think I will plan on two weeks for
the next 100 miles cause they say the Whites are much harder than
anything I have seen from Georgia to Franconia Notch.

I wanna do it again

chase
--
Charles W. Davidson (WB4PAN)